Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wednesday: Making the Notebook Interactive

This is a big day for us. We spent hours preparing ways to show the teachers how we manipulated the note book in the classroom. I was exceptionally excited to see if they would use it in their own classroom and if they thought it effective. Delaura explained the KWL and the "there was a hole song", I did the word web, flip book and the timeline, Kiki did the word weaver and the accordion, and Dr.Melideo took over the rest. They really liked learning about activities they could do with the weaver. Having the letters hidden to "reveal" this long word was great. I got the chance to show them how to put it in the notebooks. It was challenging standing in front of all those teachers and trying to demonstrate how they can do this in their classroom. The restrictions of not having many resources at my disposal forced my creativity. 

Turns out I'm a regular Macgyver (reference to the mountain climbing expedition: I fashioned a t-shirt into a water bottle holder and a make shift knee brace. snaps!). 

I took the pages of the book and folded them, then made small tears perpendicular to the direction of the fold, I then wrote a word between the folds and showed everyone before doing the next step. Then I wove in the paper and had them guess the word. I explained that this was helpful in two ways; one the student could guess a word similar to the hidden word (ie. mouse, and they guess moose) and compare the two when the hidden word is revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment